Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Judgements

I know I'm judged on a constant basis, so are all of you. If it isn't the clothes we wear, it's how much we weigh. If it isn't the cars we drive, it's the place we work. If it isn't us, it's where we come from.

I've recently been negatively judged for being a college graduate. Apparently some fellow employees that I worked with did not appreciate the fact that I had received a great education. I do not like to toot my own horn, but TOOOOOT! The only conclusion I could come to, was that their judgement did not stem from disdain for higher education itself, it was disdain for people like me who had the opportunity to receive a higher education.

They treated me horrible, even went as far as to fabricate stories about me, and spread'em around work like butter on bread.

I was also judged for my age. I am 22 years old, many of them were in their forties...single mothers with three kids trying to make ends meet. I did not judge them for being forty, so why did they judge me for being twenty?

I decided that their dislike for me stemmed from something deeper. Perhaps I had something that they wanted, and never could have. Perhaps they saw that I was young, educated, and grew up in a family that was always able to help me out when I needed it. Perhaps, they never took the time to get to know me. Maybe I have had it good up until now, but I have appreciated every second of it...and now that school is over, I'm broke just like everyone else.

I was nothing but nice to any of them, yet they still had nasty things to say. When you do all you can, and they still won't budge...oh well.

I decided that it was not my problem that they were unhappy with their lives. I was not going to let them get to me. In fact I felt sort of bad for them. Why was I always on their minds? How could I affect them so much? Why was I always a topic of conversation amongst them? Why did they even care? I figured if they needed to put me down to lift themselves up, fine. If that's what they needed to feel good, fine. I didn't care. I'm happy, nothing they say or do can change that...but if hating me makes them happy, GREAT! I'm glad I could be of help.

No comments:

Post a Comment